Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Delightful Meal

Last night, I had some guests over for dinner. I had a hankering for some mussels, and thankfully, my lovely friends were on the same page. I also wanted to try my hand at making bread, having never attempted an actual yeast bread before.

We decided on classic moules mariniere and they turned out pretty tasty. I was going to make curried mussels, as well, but meh - I'm too lazy for more than one kind at a time. Here's a pic of the garlic, shallots, and thyme in the pot:















Ever since I found this recipe in the NYTimes, I've been wanting to make it, but I didn't have the proper equipment until recently. My mom gave me a sweet Dutch oven for Christmas, and so I decided the time was right to attack it. I let it rise almost 20 hours, which is a touch longer than it says, but I was out of the house and didn't have a choice. I doubt that was the problem, though. In the end, the dough didn't rise as much as I think it should have. I'm not sure if my yeast wasn't good, or my house was too cold or what. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. Considering that the recipe says an eight year-old could have done it, that's a little discouraging, but well, what are you going to do?
















The finished meal. Nomnomnom.

No comments:

Post a Comment